Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Tell Me About It: Day 20 NaPoWriMo


Writing prompt: Try to write a poem grounded in language as it is spoken – not necessarily the grand, dramatic speech of a monologue or play, but the messy, fractured, slangy way people speak in real life. You might incorporate overheard speech or a turn of phrase you heard once that stood out to you – the idea here is to get away from formally “poetic” speech and into the way language tends to work out loud.

*The turning point of this dialogue poem (which says so little and yet so much) focuses on the expression "tell me about it" which implies agreement and sympathy. 



Tell Me About It

Bumped into a friend from school:
What’s goin’ on?
Nothin’ much
That’s cool.

Did ya hear what happened
the other day?
Can’t believe it
No way!

I know, tell me about it!
You’re kiddin’ me!
Do you mean
you agree?

Are we talkin’ 'bout the same thing?
Yeah, I think so
Okay, listen
Gotta go.




No comments:

Post a Comment